Reason, Science, Compassion, Community… no god required
Welcome to the Flathead Area Secular Humanist Association’s Home page.
FASHA is a grassroots, democratic, completely volunteer, member-driven organization that provides a welcoming and badly needed community for Flathead-area atheists, agnostics, skeptics, naturalists, secular humanists and other freethinkers.
Besides providing social activities for members, FASHA performs community service, conducts public-education programs about secular humanism and atheism, and is active in ensuring that the American concept of separation of church and state is adhered to in Flathead County.
Also, please visit our lively Facebook page.
FASHA accepts donations of any amount. To donate via PayPal, please click the “Donate” button below.
FASHA/Flathead County Atheists is now on Meetup
Skeptics in the Pub!
Join fellow skeptics/atheists/secularists for lively discussion on various skeptical topics! Check the Flathead Beacon, Meetup, or our Facebook page for location.
Meetings at 5:30 pm first Tuesdays of every month. This is subject to change, so check back here, or join FASHA to receive emails.
To join the Flathead County Atheists Meetup and get email alerts of events, go here.
Sunday, June 24: Members only breakfast meeting.
Tuesday, July 3: Skeptics in the Pub! Scotty's Bar, 2205 US-93, 5:30 pm.
We will be in the private room back by the restrooms.
Sunday, July 15: Members annual potluck!
Sunday, ?: Tour of Wildwings Recovery Center located at 37 Panoramic Dr., Kalispell.
Actual date and time TBA. Check back!
Fellowship & Community Service
FASHA members meet an average of twice a month — at informal pub gatherings, business meetings, community-service outings, parties at members’ homes, and special programs and events.
Past, present and future activities include:
- Regular meetings and social events with members
- Skeptics in the Pub monthly public gathering, weeknights
- Annual Solstice Celebrations (the real “Reason for the Season”)
- Darwin Day Celebrations in February 2012, 2014 and 2016
- “Ask an Atheist” public forum in October 2013
- Presentation by Center for Inquiry President Ron Lindsay in April 2014
- “The Trouble with Christmas” talk by Free Inquiry Editor Tom Flynn in October 2016
- Screening of the miniseries American Freethought in October-December 2014 and March-April 2015
- Screening of the documentary The God Who Wasn’t There in January 2016
- Screening of Richard Dawkins documentaries, February-April 2016
- National Day of Reason public-education programs in May 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Maintenance of three miles of U.S. 93 north of Kalispell under the Adopt-a-Highway program (ongoing)
- Volunteer conservation work in Glacier National Park (ongoing)
FASHA works to inform the public about the fundamental American principle of separation of church and state, and intervenes when this doctrine is violated. For example:
- In 2012, FASHA supported a Freedom from Religion Foundation lawsuit to remove a statue of Jesus on Big Mountain, a ski resort on federal land outside of Whitefish.
- In 2012, FASHA successfully intervened when the Fraternal Order of Eagles wanted to move a Ten Commandments monument from behind the county courthouse to a high-profile location in Depot Park in Kalispell.
- In May 2013, FASHA joined an effort spearheaded by the Secular Coalition for Montana and the National Center for Science Education to kill a bill in the Montana Legislature that would have required the teaching of “critical thinking” (creation myth) in Montana public schools.
- In 2014, FASHA intervened to prevent public school choirs from performing in Christmas programs at religious venues around Flathead County.
- With the help of concerned parents, FASHA is monitoring the Lunch Buddy program at local elementary schools to ensure that adult volunteers from local churches are not proselytizing their religious beliefs.
Regional & National Events
Robert Green Ingersoll Birthplace Museum Silver Anniversary Celebration---August 18-19, Syracuse, New York
follow link for more info:
Freedom From Religion Foundation's 41st Annual National Convention 2018-- November 2-4, San Francisco
follow link for more info:
Freedom From Religion "Ask an Atheist"
The Atheist Experience
The Secular Directory / National Events
The Secular Directory / State & Regional Events
The Thinking Atheist
Lanyrd / Atheism
Lanyrd / Skepticism